Archive for the 'Community' Category

Steps

Thursday, August 15th, 2013

Some more thoughts from my last post — a little progress report. I met with the director of volunteers at the Hospice of the Valley. I came away with an internal tension. One one end, I feel the calling to work the the dying and the grieving. On the other is the rest of my […]

Read more of "Steps"...

Flow

Thursday, August 1st, 2013

A whole month passed without a post, though I’d thought about it. I’ve been immersed in some personal work and stepping out into new areas that feel exciting. The depression has abated. I feel a need to write but am doing so with interruptions by my little girl and husband every so many minutes, so […]

Read more of "Flow"...

Sometimes a Retreat is an Advance

Wednesday, June 12th, 2013

I’d sunk into a swamp of depression. Why bother going? It was only overnight. I cancelled, one day too late to get a refund. So I went. Nearly there, I found the road blocked. The tunnel said “Under construction.” What next? Go back home? Try to find another way and arrive late? No and no. […]

Read more of "Sometimes a Retreat is an Advance"...

Day In Day Out

Thursday, May 9th, 2013

I wish my blog were famous and had millions of readers so this video could reach many, many people. If the video doesn’t show/play then click to watch it here. I’ve not read any of David Foster Wallace’s books, but hearing this speech I can’t help but wish he was still alive.

Read more of "Day In Day Out"...

The Meeting

Sunday, March 17th, 2013

Oh, to sink into silence. To breathe. To wait. No rituals, no incense, no chants, no words. Just silence and a straight-backed wooden chair. The silence is alive. Traffic zips down the highway. Chairs creak. Birds gossip. Someone coughs or sniffs. But if you really listen, you can hear the sunshine singing. Sometimes the entire […]

Read more of "The Meeting"...

Give a Little Love

Tuesday, November 27th, 2012

Watch and feel. Or try this link.

Read more of "Give a Little Love"...

Ideas for Practicing Love

Friday, November 16th, 2012

Today, for whatever reason, I am feeling how we all struggle to be here. How much we need to love each other, and how we need to practice that love in deed and word. Once upon a time I struggled to meet my basic needs while working to reach some lofty goals. My life, through […]

Read more of "Ideas for Practicing Love"...

Nothing Is Lost, Only Transformed

Thursday, November 1st, 2012

God pours life into death and death into life without a drop being spilled. -Author Unknown Until I attended graduate school at St. Edward’s University, I didn’t know much about Dia de los Muertos. In 1997, after I’d left the fundamentalist non-denominational church I’d been with for years — and with it my entire social […]

Read more of "Nothing Is Lost, Only Transformed"...

Have A Spooktacular Halloween!

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012
Read more of "Have A Spooktacular Halloween!"...

Remember the Mystery

Monday, October 29th, 2012

The first time I heard this spoken-word passage, I was so moved I had to pull off the road and cry. It was a few months after 9/11. It resonates with me still. If you have a few minutes, maybe if you listen it will speak to you too. If the embed isn’t working you […]

Read more of "Remember the Mystery"...