The End of the Day

At nearly 9:00 p.m. it’s still 81F. I spent the afternoon at my friends’ home just sitting. I couldn’t sleep for the heat, but at least the windows were open and it was quiet.

So, the doctor visit… I am one centimeter dilated but not effaced at all, and baby still sits high. My induction was scheduled.

Next Wednesday, September 5, I will go to the hospital at 6:00 p.m. to have prostaglandin inserted. This will begin to ripen the cervix (cause it to soften and start effacing). Just after midnight on September 6, we’ll return to the hospital to begin an IV delivery of Pitocin to start my labor. Let’s hope it works. The doctor said there’s a good chance and it’s worth trying. I’m trying to get square with the idea that I may end up having a C-section if the labor doesn’t progress.

Maybe Little One will come on her own before then.

I’m headed for a cool shower and if I’m lucky, some sleep.

8 thoughts on “The End of the Day

  1. kathleen

    hey kathryn,

    i think we get the labor/birth that we get. i wish they had had prostaglandin pessaries- – or offered them- – with my son. i wasn’t progressing after maybe 28 hours of labor & we went with the pitocin. it wasn’t much worse- – just made the contractions regular.

    the key i think is accepting, with grace and gratitude, the way things go. you CAN have a meaningful, family-centered c-section. bring your fondest wishes with you. the Universe will hear.

    my thoughts will be with you.


  2. Diana

    Oh, I love what Kathleen says above and I second.

    With my second, I had gone over my due date and an appointment was made for induction, for 8am on Feb 23. I went into hard labor (after two days of light, constant cramping) at midnight on the 22nd. It was a very small-town hospital, only two rooms for birthing and I remember them wheeling me to one room because “the other one” would be in use at 8, for a scheduled induction, hehe.

    You just never know. Hang in there. We’re all sending good wishes!

  3. Kathryn Post author

    I should clarify that I’m not disappointed by the idea of a C-section. I don’t have an “ideal birth experience” in mind. What I’m struggling with is the fear of hard labor for a number of hours, becoming exhausted, and then undergoing a major surgery. All this will leave me spent and vulnerable in a way that a planned C or straight vaginal delivery would not. That scenario is my least favorite. It’s this fear and the desire for control that I need to let go.

    Thank you for the good wishes. It means so much.

  4. Kathryn Post author

    Husband’s job is generous with parental leave so he’ll be taking 5 weeks off. My mother-in-law also plans to come for about a week from WA, and my sister-in-law has offered to come in from TX whenever I ask. And then there are several close-by friends who have generously offered to bring food, run errands, etc. I’m really well-situated in this regard. As I ponder this I realize how comforting it is, and my fear fades.

  5. Brenda

    A suggestion for ripening the cervix would be to use Evening Primrose Oil. It worked for a friend of mine who wasn’t dilating at all. I’ll definitely be using it next time I’m pregnant…I had the birth experience where I was in labor for 28 hours and then had a c-section. And that was after having been awake for almost 24 hours before it all started. Thank God my daugher liked to sleep so well! 🙂

    I can’t wait to see pics!

Comments are closed.