Useful Technology

In my last post I mentioned Husband and I felt woozy, which prompted a comment of concern by Laurel. She didn’t specify her concern, but I imagine she was thinking about carbon monoxide poisoning. However, there were four reassuring reasons this was not the case: Grandma was feeling fine, the baby was doing better from her tummy trouble, the cat proceeded with her day as usual, and the carbon monoxide alarm did not go off. Everything in this house, including the water heater, is powered by electricity (but we do have a rarely used fireplace).

Yes, we own a carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, deadly gas. In Austin, our house was fueled by gas for cooking, and we had a gas fireplace. So Husband bought one and plugged it in. One holiday — I forget if it was Thanksgiving or Christmas — we had my brother and his wife over for dinner. We were cooking a turkey and played Trivial Pursuit while we waited. At one point, we all commented on how lethargic we were feeling. We attributed it to the warmth of the room and hunger. Shortly after, the detector went off. That jarred us up and out of the house, opening windows and doors on the way. It turns out the oven wasn’t operating properly.

Now, I don’t know what the outcome might have been if there had not been a monitor, but it’s possible a tragedy was averted. Carbon monoxide detectors come in a range of prices and are worth every dollar, especially if you use gas, a fireplace, or a wood-burning stove for cooking and warmth. Research it and buy one if you don’t have it.

Explore posts in the same categories: Journal, Science, Technology

2 Comments on “Useful Technology”

  1. TP Says:

    My estate would’ve sued the hell out of your estate. Talk about tragedies averted!

  2. lkd Says:

    That’s exactly what I was thinking.

    I didn’t know there were monitors. They should be required in houses and apartments just like smoke detectors.