At Little Less Conversation, A Little More (Contr)action*

It is now near 9:00 p.m. on Thursday. Below is what I wrote earlier today, but did not publish at the time because Husband asked me to wait and breathe a bit.
Written Thursday morning around 9:00 a.m.

With the exception of a couple hours of dozing, I’ve been awake since 9:30 a.m. on September 5. I had more pain than I anticipated from the gel.

This post was supposed to announce we were leaving home to start the induction.

My OB said she scheduled the induction for midnight 9/6. But at the hospital Wednesday night (getting gel) we were told they don’t do inductions that way. We explained what our doctor had told us, and the nurse said she didn’t see on the schedule book that we were slotted in to come in at midnight. We were told to call at 6:30 a.m. Thursday to ask if there was room.

You know where this is leading, right?

I called at 6:30 a.m. and was told there is no room, all 12 are occupied. And oh, I’m scheduled to come in at midnight anyway. WTF??!! I explained what happened last night, that we were told that’s not how it worked and no record of that appointment was found. I was told to call back at 8:30 a.m. to see if there is room.

I just called at 8:33 and the charge nurse insisted that I was not scheduled until midnight September 7. I explained again, and she said, basically, “So sorry, but you’ll have to call at 11 p.m. tonight to see if we can take you. Or you can call your OB and reschedule for another time that’s more convenient.” More convenient?! I replied that I am at 41 weeks, 4 days, and it was my doctor’s request to schedule me. Her reply, “Perhaps you should call your OB and get things straightened out.”

End of call. I officially went ballistic. Husband is now taking over the job of calling people and negotiating things.

10 minutes later

Husband has just talked with our OB’s nurse. Nothing can be done; the hospital isn’t taking any inductions today. So we wait. I simply cannot find the humor in this. Someday it will make a fun story.
I did manage to get some sleep, about three hours Thursday morning after I wrote this, until the roofers came back from 1:00-4:00, and then two hours more after they left. My OB called a few moments ago to check in and said labor & delivery was packed all day with laboring women non-stop but that it seems that things are quieting down. We talked a bit about the schedule mess and how crazy this all made me; she’s very empathetic, and I felt much better by the end of the call. The hospital might call us soon to come in. If we don’t hear by 11:00 p.m., we’re to call them and see if things are quiet enough. They may not be, in which case we just continue waiting. In the wee hours last night I had contractions 30 minutes apart for a couple hours, but nothing since. We’ll see.

I hope that the next post will be a birth announcement. I’ve written a draft and a friend is going to fill in the particulars about the baby. Any further posts regaling you about the actual birth experience will probably come much, much later. I’m certain I’ll be exhausted.

Oh, about baby photos. I’ll be posting them on Flickr, not the blog, and they’ll be visible to friends and family only. So if you have an account there, make me a contact and I’ll set your status to friend. If you don’t have a Flickr account, you can open one (it’s free). Once you create an account, designate me as a contact by going to my profile and in the upper right corner, clicking “add Mindful One as a contact.” This triggers an email notifying me, and then I’ll make you a contact with the correct status. It might take me a couple days to get to the email, so please be patient.

*Tip of the hat to Elvis.

Explore posts in the same categories: Humor, Journal, Motherhood, Nature, Pregnancy

7 Comments on “At Little Less Conversation, A Little More (Contr)action*”

  1. Fran aka Redondowriter Says:

    Well, it’s 9 p.m., Kathryn, and I am sending you a ton of energy for whatever is going to happen tonight or tomorrow. I can only imagine how frustrated you must have been.

    I have a flickr account so I’ll do as you suggest so I can see HER soon.

  2. Eden Says:

    Gah! It will make a good story someday but right now, I’m thinking, “They only have 12 beds?” They need to kick someone out.

  3. kathleen Says:

    hey, kathryn,

    it’s funny about the “overdue” thing. it’s a weirdly meaningless word to me, like “overweight” – – i mean, what does that mean – – over WHAT weight? 🙂 i was 11 days “overdue” with my first child. so that means i was almost 42 weeks pregnant. . . but i never once thought of it like that. i just was frustrated and kind of crazed. SO. . . rip up a phone book, pray, take lavish care of you. . .and know that you are in our thoughts. . . . . .xox

  4. Laurel Says:

    The 7th.

    Did I tell you I had a feeling about the 7th?

    I’ll be thinking of you all day today.

    Your whole life is about to change. Do you feel that? Your right in between before and after.

    Oh, I’m so happy and proud to know you.

    Brave, honey. You are one seriously courageous woman.

    All day, today. I promise. I’ll be thinking of you all day.

  5. Kate Says:

    Oy. I’m proud of you. My head would have exploded. 🙂

  6. Chad Says:

    Someone should forward this story to the Consumerist.

    Good luck!

  7. Liora Says:

    This story sounds familiar, and it ended up with a woman giving birth in a barn with a bunch of animals looking on. I’m glad to read that you’ve since gotten a room of your own.